Thursday, July 14, 2011

Homegrown Tomatoes by Guy Clark


Sometimes my blog gets bogged down with topics that reflect my feelings of drowning in the heaviness of every day living. I started this blog to help me both process the death of my brother last fall and to celebrate and remember his life in pictures and stories. Regardless, I strive for a variety of topics, All Things Important if you will.
On that note, what could be more important in mid-July than Homegrown Tomatoes. Frankly, I can’t remember the first time I heard this song by Guy Clark or when I started playing it every summer while preparing a BLT or batch of gazpacho. It creates the perfect mood and brings a smile to my face every time. Turn it up next time you enjoy your homegrown tomatoes, either from your backyard or the local Farmer’s Market.




Guy Clark singing "Homegrown Tomatoes" (2010)

Lyrics: It is impossible to hear this song and not want to sing along!

Ain't nothin' in the world that I like better
Than bacon & lettuce & homegrown tomatoes
Up in the mornin' out in the garden
Get you a ripe one don't get a hard one
Plant `em in the spring eat `em in the summer
All winter with out `em's a culinary bummer
I forget all about the sweatin' & diggin'
Every time I go out & pick me a big one
Homegrown tomatoes homegrown tomatoes
What'd life be without homegrown tomatoes
Only two things that money can't buy
That's true love & homegrown tomatoes
You can go out to eat & that's for sure
But it's nothin' a homegrown tomato won't cure
Put `em in a salad, put `em in a stew
You can make your very own tomato juice
Eat `em with eggs, eat `em with gravy
Eat `em with beans, pinto or navy
Put `em on the site put `em in the middle
Put a homegrown tomato on a hotcake griddle
If I's to change this life I lead
I'd be Johnny Tomato Seed
`Cause I know what this country needs
Homegrown tomatoes in every yard you see
When I die don't bury me
In a box in a cemetery
Out in the garden would be much better
I could be pushin' up homegrown tomatoes

No comments:

Post a Comment